"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Friday, September 16, 2011

A life with out health insurance

I can't remember a time when I didnt have health insurance.  When my Cobra rates went from active employee rates to normal Cobra rates...it went to over $700, for the both of us.  When you are unemployeed that sometimes is not a option.  To keep one of us on it is, $363 which was only $63 more than the active employee rate, for both my daughter and I...this was much more feasable.  The question was who to keep.  We both have pre-existing conditions...me cancer and her depression, so my HMO was out of the question.  She goes to therapy weekly and at that time was the only one on medication and she is the one who gets sick more, so we are in urgent care quite a lot...so I kept her on.

When I was in the psychiatric hospital, they gave me  7 days, of the medication I was on with a referral to the Santa Ana Mental Health Center...3 days later.  There they told me I would see a psychiatrist once a month and they would refill my medication at no charge.  What a blessing  I thought.  Operable word...thought.  They did a intake to see if I qualified for their services.  Since I only suffer from depression and am not "severly mentally ill"...I did not qualify.  So they gave me referrals for therapy and sliding fee psychiatrists.  Sliding fee is $80 and up.  Now I could have financially handled that but one of the medications is for a medical issue and I would also need to find a doctor also...extra charge.

Ever since I had my colon re-sected 6 years ago I have had chronic constipation...which has only been resolved by taking 8 Senna a day.  The doctor in the hospital suggested trying a prescription called Amitiza.  So I did and it works so so.  Some days I have to add a few Senna but at least I have weaned myself off the Senna some what. 

I was getting a little frantic as I am almost out of meds and the clinic had been no help.  So I went into the walk-in clinic, which also has appointments.  The cost of the first visit $150.  Still better than having to pay both the psychiatrist and the doctor.  While I was there I decided to get my flu shot....$30  I also inquired about get a HIV blood test.  For this 18 years of infidelity there were no condoms  used...so among other things he put my life at risk.  It was only $14 for the test so I had that done.  I walked away paying $180 up front and will be billed for the lab test.  I was having a panic attack waiting to be seen, as I thought maybe they would not refill them since they were prescribed because number one I had been suicidal and number two they were not the doctors who had originally saw me.  The doctor was lovely.  The two medications that are controlled substances she can only write a months supply since I was originally suicidal and because they are a controlled substance. She said the next office visits if I pay cash will "only be $88".  I was not thrilled at the mere thought, but it is better than $150.  A little budget adjusting will have to be negotiated.  She gave me prescriptions for all 4 of the medication and changed two of them. The sleeping pill which is suppose to keep you asleep a full 8 hours...has me up like clock work 5 hours later...so she changed that to Ambien.  She also changed the anxiety pill to Xanex.

Next I was off to Target to see if the prescriptions could be covered under the $4 generic plan.  Three of them did not come in generic form.  She checked the prices for me.  The Prozac for a 3 month supply came to $10 and the Xanex $6.50 for a one month supply.  Great fill them I told her.  Next the Amitiza.  It is a relatively new drug...$800 for a 3 month supply.  Had a wee panic attack.  I thought when  I went to Costco, later that evening, I would check the prices there.  The Ambien for a one month supply was $27 and I didn't refill that one at Target either.  At Costco I have never filled prescriptions so I had no idea if there would be a savings.  The Ambien turned out to be $7.24...the price nearly 3/4 lower than the Target price.  Next time I get the other two refilled I am transferring them over to Costco.  TheAmitiza was a little cheaper, but not much...$732.  So that was not filled.  I am going to try to see if I qualify for the Prescription Assistance Program for that one.  If not I am back on the Senna...as that is the only option left.

So my first day maneuvering my non medical insurance life...left me $217.74 out of pocket...I miss my HMO.

No comments: