"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Creative simplicity

I have this chair, only in solid pine color, no white. Awhile ago the back broke. I have been using the chair to put my feet up on, while on the computer.

I was going to trash it, as it is not visually appealing; as you can see the holes where the spindles went. I just had a light bulb moment, on how I could recycle and reuse it; in a way that will make it visually appealing. I have four chair pads, that although rather nice, I never used. They were in one of the closets; so when we culled, they got placed in a bag for the thrift shop. I did keep one for my daughters desk chairs.

I have to go back in the car and take something back into the house, meant to be given away. I am okay with that, as it is being given a useful second life. Useful is the key word. What I plan to do is get thick Velcro and glue it to the chair itself, and to the back of the chair pad. That way when the chair pad gets dirty, I simply wash it. The chair pad, covers the spindle holes, so that takes care of the ugliness factor. The chair pad also has a skirt, which will add a cuteness factor. All for the price of just Velcro, I have a lovely foot rest.

No comments: