"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Musings of this and that

When you work long days, vacations from work are such blessings, in so many ways. My job is not a physically strenuous one, but the hours, literally drain me; 10 hour days, 5 days a week.

Today is day 1, with 10 more glorious vacation days to follow. The thought of knowing I do not have to return to work, has filled me with much energy. Something I haven't felt in such a long time. This is a time to nourish my spirit, by simply enjoying the moments; that fill every one of these 11 days.

These will also be days to reconnect. When you have a mate, who is career military; and who is stationed over 4 hours away, those times are far between. This time, it has been 5 long months. I have gotten used to the month long separations, as it has been that way for the past 10 years or so; but 5 months is too long. It has never gotten easier, being separated for months at a time; only a way of life. One of the many bits of wisdom, that he has shared with me, is that no matter what life hands you; you do, whatever you need to do, and then you keep on going. I attempt to remember that, though there are times; when I miss him terribly, that the sheer thought fades away. Thursday or Friday, I will take a 4 hour drive to Paso Robles and spend 2 to 3 days there. What can I say about a man; whom after 20 years, still takes my breath away. A man who, when he embraces my face in his hands; life can get no better. A man who, when I lie next to him and feel his heart beat; time stands still. Did I say, that I adore this man.

My daughter got a job through the city, at a senior citizen center. Its a internship, though she did say, there was talk, about this being a paid job. The way her face lit up, as she talked about the possibility of her first paying job; filled my heart. Its been such a long time since I saw her face light up. My heart was so full.

So today I rested, ate chinese takeout for dinner and will watch a few movies; what a lovely first day.

No comments: