"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Once upon a time, I was into stockpiling groceries. This was a good idea, when the kids were younger, as there was four little mouths to feed. The years have passed, but now I only have one 19 year old, left at home.

I started writing this post, a couple of hours ago. What is above is the original post. I left it for a bit, not sure of the purpose or where I wanted it to go. A few hours and many thoughts later.

Let me go back to the first part of this post. My pantries are full. Full of what I don't even know, due to plain and simple; buying and not using. Monday night I made a salad. All the ingredients had been bought recently except, the salad dressing, which was in the fridge. That night I suffered a really bad stomach ache. I took a look at the dressing and it had expired in 2007. I have no idea, how long it had been sitting in the refrigerator.

So today I decided to pull everything out of one cabinet. A very narrow, but very deep one. Can after can, box after box of very expired food. I am not going to take the chance of getting anyone ill. So there was no other choice than to trash it. A couple of large size trash bags full. It made me sick. Not physically sick, but sick about the waste.

The ties that bind, my thoughts was todays post on the blog; Down To Earth. Reading Rhonda's post earlier, triggered a connection. My awareness to be exact. The wasted food just a symbol. Simply, I need to be more aware of the choices I make; in all aspects of my life.

For if I want to live a authentic life; I need to weave these gentle threads of awareness and intertwine them, into all that I am.

1 comment:

Knitters Notebook said...

Suzen,

Thank you for your openess. I have done the same thing you have done buy.. and not eat:) Today I spent the day going through my closet. I have much to give away...but it feels good to see my floor again:)

Blessings,

Renee