"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Monday, January 7, 2008

Recycling to a new life

I need a new ironing board cover, but have yet to find one in a pattern, that I like. I have a lovely full size flat sheet that I do not use, and the pattern is exactly what I am looking for. I found online, at The Purl Bee, what items I would need and how to make it. How hard could it be. Only time will tell.

fabric - 2 yards cotton fabric of your choice for a full-size ironing board, or 1 1/2 yards for a small board.
batting - I used two layers of twin size mid-loft cotton batting for a firm padding. You may prefer a high-loft cotton batting.
clear acrylic ruler
pinking shears - These shears have serrated teeth that prevent unravelling.
pattern paper -
bodkin - This helpful tool is used to draw the twine through the narrow hem of the cover. You can also use a safety pin.
glasshead pins
machine thread
marker - Hera Marker
cotton twine or elastic - 3 yards

1 comment:

Wildside said...

Good luck. It sounds like it will be nice.