"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Soul nourishing music



There are defining moments in ones life. Seven years ago a song on the radio was one for me. At that time...I had been diagnosed with colon cancer and six months of chemotherapy soon followed. The emotional part of cancer had many facets; at different parts of the journey. The time preceding surgery I felt so overwhelmed with the total loss of control...I felt, over my life. Then there was the chemotherapy which was so physically debilitating and beyond emotionally draining. So much so that there were times that I felt I could no longer continue chemo.

My days were filled with just trying to make it, until the good week. A good week was the week that I did not have to endure 4 hours of chemo (on a good chemo day) and all the horrid side effects. Chemo did not end when I walked out the door of the infusion room...for then I would go home with a pump for 2 days. Living for the every other week was the bain of my existence. Then this one blessed day I heard, Hips Don't Lie...on the radio. From the first moment I heard that song; it brought a such a spark of life into my spirit and I didn't want to let go of it...as it was a feeling like no other. My sister blessed me with the CD and every time I got in the car; I so felt the music that I played it over and over and over again...as loud as I could.

For a brief few minutes in time I was once again able to embrace all that I was and for a mere second chemo...was only a distant memory.

No comments: