"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
-- Dr. Maya Angelou

Thursday, September 2, 2010

One of those moments that takes your breath away


Around 6 months ago I watched a documentary on Netflix...The Wild Parrots Of Telegraph Hill. I lived in the bay area many moons ago when I was 19 and fell in love with Northern CA. The mere mention of the bay area drew me to this documentary; those amazing creatures kept me captivated.

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago. My daughter tells me she has seen green parrots flying around and immediately I remember. Have they migrated south...was my first thought; or could they be our very own southern CA wild parrots.
You know when they are close to being overhead, as there is this loud choir of screeching; before getting close. The sound has become music to my ears. For if I step outside, I can catch a glimpse of my very own flock of wild parrots.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I am still looking out for them :) Thank you for letting me know!

Unknown said...

The other day one flew into one of the trees in front of my patio from one direction and one flew from another direction. They were there for just a minute or so, then communicated with each other and flew off. I know from the documentary that they pair off.

Another day I heard them and saw a flock of I would say at least 35 of them. The sound they make is quite different than the black birds sound. Sometimes when you hear them, it takes a minute to finally see them.

Every time I see them I am left in a state of awe...its as though I am seeing them for the first time.